Thursday, May 5, 2016

Bullying and Autism

Throughout this blog, I've noticed a common theme and that theme is I've been talking about bullying with all those who might not have a disorder which makes them susceptible to bullying. What about someone who has autism? What are some information and facts and statistics about that.

A total of 63% of children, which translates to 1,167 children. It found that children within the ages of 6 to 15 have been bullied at some point in their lives. The Interactive Autism Network or IAN conducted a study and found that bullying occurred at every grade level, but it was most prevalent from the middle school years. The study mentions how this is not a surprise because bullying usually does take place during fifth through eighth grade. It also showed a large percentage of children who were bullied with Autism Spectrum Disorder had this happen when they attended public school (43%. With regular private schools, the percentages were about 28%.

I'm a person who has thought for a long time that I have autistic tendencies, but I have never doubted myself because I like to think that I have succeeded at a lot that I have done in my life. While I have been bullied a lot, which is why I decided to start this blog, I have never believed it was because I am autistic. I have never actually been tested for this and never actually believed that I have autism or Asperger's. Whatever the case, it's a sad fact knowing that so many people can take advantage of those who have autism or Asperger's. It isn't their fault that they are very susceptible and vulnerable to bullying and they should not have this happen to them. They are just trying to live their lives the best way that they can.

No comments:

Post a Comment